The delivery part of the Draw & Code ‘KOKOverse’ demo at SXSW was handled by new “near zero” immersive streaming technology from Dolby.io. The software is currently still in development. It incorporates cloud-based Dolby Atmos mixing and video composition that enable low latency remote production, an essential, the essential, element of this kind of exercise.
Dolby has opened an early access partner programme for software platforms and developers, venues, artists, and other industry professionals with an interest in this field.
The three components of Dolby.io live performance streaming technology
- Capture and transport audio and video from venues in high quality with ease and without the resource-intensiveness, cost, and environmental impact of traditional approaches. Individual audio channels and camera feeds from the venue are sent to the Dolby.io cloud service.
- Produce a Dolby Atmos mix and video program from anywhere in the world with powerful web-based production tools for creatives like mix engineers and video producers. This includes an intuitive service for video composition and a service for creating a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos audio mix in the cloud.
- Deliver an incredibly immersive and premium quality media experience, including Dolby Atmos audio and high-quality video, to fans across a wide range of playback environments and devices, whether that’s on their phone, in their living room, or even piped into virtual environments.
What sets the Dolby.io streaming technology apart?
It’s very easy for venues to set up, with minimal logistics required. It’s also environmentally-friendly. It’s the only system of its kind to have cloud-based Dolby Atmos spatial audio built in, which means the sound can be mixed from anywhere, and any studio, in the world. All of this is possible at extremely low latency.
The main points
- For artists, Dolby.io live performance streaming technology represents an opportunity to deliver high-quality immersive experiences for their fans, expand their reach, unlock new creative possibilities, and increase earnings.
- For creative professionals, such as audio engineers and video producers, this technology creates new opportunities to apply and monetize their valuable skill sets, even if they’re on the other side of the globe from the venue.
- For venues and festivals, Dolby.io live performance streaming technology opens up new revenue streams through virtual ticket sales – all without the logistics or cost of conventional broadcast solutions, and to evolve from a capacity-constrained business model to a demand-constrained model, while improving their brand and standing out from the crowd.
- For fans, this technology means people will have the chance to put themselves in the center of the action and experience their favorite artists with an entirely new level of immersion.
- For platforms, this technology creates possibilities for exclusive content and allows them to expand their platform with differential experiences.
- For developers, Dolby.io live performance streaming technology represents powerful services that can serve as the foundation for entirely new virtual experiences.
If you are interested in using Dolby.io’s live performance streaming software and would like advice, guidance and support on how to get started, get in touch for an initial chat. Contact John Rowe (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Colin Birch (email@example.com).