Calling Magicbox a high-tech origami that unfolds in a parking lot, Sam says it is “the only virtual production system that I have worked with that can set up, shoot, and strike in a 12-hour day”. The mobile unit contains a 306 square foot, 1.3mm pixel pitch screen that supports up to 4K resolution.
Some of the key specifications provided on the launch website:
Gross Combined Weight
- 18 tons
- 40ft. x 8ft. x 14ft. Closed
- 40ft. x 20ft. x 17 Open
- 40ft. x 40ft. x 17ft. Open & Tented
- 1.3 pp Main Wall / 3840×2160 (4k)
- 2.6 pp Side Walls / 1800 x 800
- 3.8 pp Ceiling / 800 x 800
Power supply and requirements
- 400 amp 3 Phase 208V
The second generation will be bigger, with more features and services onboard, and it is hoped it will make its debut in later2022, early 2023.